Thursday, February 3, 2011

Super Bowl XLV Day V

We just wrapped-up our Thursday show, and another day of success.

Mike Ditka, Drew Pearson, Deacon Jones, Jay Ratliff, Terence Newman, Thomas Everett, Rick Gosselin, and Mean Joe Greene.

My staff busted their butts for our station today and they have been all week.

But, despite the great day we had---and the day we're set to have on Friday---office politics took center stage. I'm amazed at how selfish some people can be...

We've had people busting their tails all week for the radio station--as they should be--and being at NFL Media Headquarters and Radio Row and covering the Super Bowl isn't a cocktail party, it's not a frat or sorority party---it's hard work.

But, I love it, I'll always love it and I am fortunate to be involved in the business.

As I've said many times, I get paid to talk about something I love, sports, athletics, games, scores, teams, players, fans, and I will always appreciate it.

I have never-ever complained about not being invited to an event in my 30-years in the business.

David Smoak I would've responded in so many ways that would be destructive.

David Smoak II took a deep breath and didn't send the compulsive email response or make that phone call and rip someone's head off.

We're here at NFL Media Headquarters and Radio Row and covering the Super Bowl and we've given the radio station more coverage and exposure---perhaps EVER.

And, yet--there's always someone who doesn't appreciate the work, doesn't understand what we're doing and has just basically ruined it for everyone else.

I've done everything possible to give those who most deserve it "this year" a chance to experience Super Bowl week. But, after today...well, I'll just bite my tongue.

David Smoak

P.S. Since some of you have asked, Butch Henry has been wonderful to work with and he was invited but couldn't make it up because of two reasons, Wednesday's Lady Bears game against OU (he's the shot clock operator), and the weather conditions. We're bringing him back a bunch of souvenirs and love. Butch doesn't travel much, but Paul and I have set a goal to get him out of state before the end of the year. I think Rangers Training Camp in Arizona is going to be tough for him to turn down. Baseball, GOLF, GOLF, and GOLF!!!

2 comments:

  1. Is Smoak firing a shot across Butch's bow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not at all, Butch was invited, was going to make it up but the weather wouldn't let him make it up. And, we forgot his duties as score clock operator on Wednesday with OU women at Baylor.

    Butch has been wonderful to work with---this was more about someone else within the office...not involved in the our sports department.

    Thanks for asking though.

    David Smoak

    ReplyDelete