Friday, January 7, 2011

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity...

I will never forget the words of KLTV-TV sports director in the fall of 1984.

I had just moved to work with KLTV a couple of months earlier from KTRE-TV in Lufkin/Nacogdoches...and here I was a couple of months later breaking a story on a coaching change in the East Texas area.

After the 10pm news one night and after we broke the story, Jerry came up to me and said, "Smoaky, great job---we got them tonight."

Back then, there wasn't much competition in the TV market in Tyler/Longview, there was KLTV and the new CBS affiliate, KLMG in Longview.

Our main competitor was the Tyler Morning Telegraph, they had a great staff of writers...

They beat us a few times and visa-versa.

So, after Jerry's comment, I said, "I got a little lucky."

He immediately responded, "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."

I've never forgotten that phrase, and today's Tweet on Twitter early this morning, "It's a done deal, he's coming to Baylor," was all about preparation meeting an opportunity.

"It's a done deal, he's coming to Baylor" was about Phil Bennett taking the defensive coordinator position under Art Briles. I've known the Bennett family since the mid-1980's from their connection to Marshall, Texas where they were born and raised and other stops in the high school coaching tree, including Jerry Bennett at Jefferson and now at Linden-Kildare HS in deep northeast Texas.

I called Jerry earlier this week working a completely different story on Baylor recruiting, and before you know it our conversation turned to his brother Phil and one thing led to another, and...."It's a done deal, he's coming to Baylor."

Had I not made the phone call to Jerry Bennett earlier this week, I don't think we have the conversation about his brother Phil. But, we did, and I was able to Tweet this morning and give our radio station a little exposure.

The story isn't over, more changes could be on the way and we hope to be on top of all of them.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment