Sunday, March 13, 2011

I can't wait to get back to Kansas City...

I'd been looking forward to our trip to cover the Big 12 Men's and Women's Basketball Tournaments, and I enjoyed the games and tournaments.

I just wish I'd felt better. I caught a pretty bad head cold following our ESPN College Game-Day weekend and here I am, nine days later and I'm still coughing constantly, battling a stuffy nose, an earache and sore throat.

I've tried everything and special thanks to folks within the Baylor athletic department for trying to help with some medicine.

I have coughed almost non-stop for 8-9 days, some days worse than others, and here I am on Sunday night and battling you guessed it, a nagging cough.

I will go and see my doctor here in Waco, Dr. Hinds, sometime on Monday. I had a throat culture done before I left and everything came back negative. But, something is strange because I've taken Advil Cold & Sinus, NyQuil, DayQuil, Advil, Lozenges, Mucinex, anything and everything and I'm right back at square one.

I actually feel better today than I have in a week, but the constant coughing has just worn down my throat and I'm not sure if I'll be on the air for another day or two. That in itself is very frustrating.

We'll have a lot to digest this week, including Baylor missing out on the NIT, man...from the Elite 8 to nothing. I know every program would want any post-season tournament but perhaps this season needs to end, "now."

The Lady Bears captured the regular season and conference championships and they'll get a #1 seed and host the first two rounds in Waco and most likely play their third and fourth round games in Dallas. They have a watch party set for 5:00pm on Monday and we'll try and get Coach Mulkey on our show sometime between 3pm-6pm.

We've launched our NCAA Bracket Madness promotion, YOU picking the NCAA Tournament and my goal is 300 entries. Right now, without any promotion, we're only at 15, but we'll pound away at this for the next 2-3 days. I "NEVER" do well at these brackets, NEVER. But, I'll fill it out like I always do and watch is disintegrate right before my very own eyes.

Baylor football resumes their spring drills and we'll dive back into that as well this week.

I need a quiet week, and we should get that with some appearances, but being back home is great.

Paul Catalina and I leave for Rangers Training Camp a week from Wednesday and we're looking forward to that, was hoping Butch would come just for the golf, but he has some family plans. I think he'd love Arizona with the baseball and golf and we'll work on him this week.

So, our week in Kansas City is over, and because I couldn't enjoy it like I wanted--I can't wait for next year.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment