Saturday, March 5, 2011

Trying to summarize the past week...

I'm sitting here inside the Parsons Roofing 40' RV, otherwise known as our ESPN Radio-Central Texas Luxury Suite.

We've been broadcasting and spending the past 36-hours inside of this RV counting down the ESPN College Game Day and Saturday night's Texas @ Baylor game.

I'd like to start by thanking Baylor University for their unprecedented access to their campus and events this week. As I've said many times, I don't know what relationship our station had with Baylor before I arrived in late-June, but I do know the response we are receiving from throughout Baylor Athletics has been tremendous.

The month of March should fly by with the Big 12 Tournaments next week in Kansas City, whatever we do with the NCAA Tournaments, Rangers Training Camp in late-March in Surprise, Arizona, and perhaps the NCAA Women's Final Four the first week in April.

Our sales staff has aced the sponsorships in putting us in position to not only cover these events, but cover our expenses and add to an already record-breaking March.

We will continue to push to get better...

I received an email asking me why we decided to cover the ESPN College Game Day with an appearance in an RV outside of the Ferrell Center. I responded, "why not?"

We'd other be in the studio or another appearance on Friday, so why not start the countdown to the ESPN College Game Day show? It only made sense and now, sitting here inside the RV, mid-afternoon on Saturday, I can't think of much else we could have done. We had a couple of gremlins in the system "outside of what anyone heard on the air," and we react to both with ease.

I'll go ahead and answer another email question, "Why did you decide to broadcast live on Saturday morning leading up to College Game Day."

Again, "Why not?" Butch, Paul and I thoroughly enjoyed the setting and atmosphere.

We had ESPN's Rece Davis and Jay Bilas on Friday's show...and we were still able to cover the local high school and college post-season tournaments.

I'd like to thank a few people in particular for the past week's access at Baylor, including Ian McCaw, Nick Joos, Chris Yandle, John Garrison, Diane Jee, Jordan Barker, Kevin Huffine, Tom Hill, Drew Pittman, and Scott Drew.

There are many more who were involved, but those are the people who I had the direct contact with at some point.

One story about Friday night...Coach Drew stopped by our RV on Friday for a live interview and then I didn't think we'd see him again until perhaps Saturday morning. Well, as a pretty good group of us were enjoying the tailgating on Friday night, here comes Coach Drew---with a large aluminum pan of Crazy Wings from George's. He spoke with us for about 15-20 minutes and went home to the family and I'm sure to watch more video on Texas.

And, speaking of food, I'd like to also thank Fuddruckers, Rudy's and Hooters for their donation to helping feed about a hundred students who stayed around the Parsons Roofing RV on Friday afternoon.

Right now, there's about 50-80 people coming and going right outside of our tailgate location.

Mike Dewey did another nice job of coordinating the area with Baylor University. Mike loves to tailgate, he loves to have a good time, and he is really trying to start a tradition of great tailgating at Baylor sporting events.

I just received an email from ESPN Radio in Bristol, and they've asked me to live updates during tonight's UT-Baylor game. That sounds great and all, but because of the setup inside the Ferrell Center, I have to do the updates from inside the media room about 1-2 times and hour...so I'll have to walk away from the live action a few times.

Oh well, enough for now, Paul and I just met inside the RV to discuss our upcoming trip to Kansas City...just one of many things we're doing this month---and very excited about it all.

Thank you for reading this blog if you do, and listening to our show when and if you do.

David Smoak
smoaky@1660espn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment