Thursday, March 17, 2011

Playing catch-up again...

You'd think something so simple at updating a daily or weekly blog would be easy. Well, it should be and I apologize for not updating much of late.

It's late on Thursday night, the first night of the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and I went 6-2 in the first 8-games, not sure about tonight's results, but not bad...but like every year, my bracket will be a mess by this time Friday night (if not earlier).

I love the NCAA Tournament...obviously, it's one of the great single-day's in sports each year. I'll take the opening day of the Masters golf tournament. I used to think the same thing for the opening day of MLB when so many games were played during the afternoon on a Monday---but that's changed with so many opening games being spread out with television coverage.

Well, Paul Catalina and I returned from our week covering the Big 12 Basketball Tournament's in Kansas City, and throughout the entire trip...and even now, I'm still fighting this cough.

I saw my doctor on Monday, he prescribed Z-Pac and steroids and Codeine cough syrup. Everything has worked by the Codeine-laced cough syrup. I couldn't wait to try it the first night back (Monday), but I've been wired after taking it every night. I haven't had more than 2-3 hours sleep in any one night for 2-weeks, and I'm not whining, just updating my blog.

I'm taking straight-up NyQuil in about 20-minutes. But, I have a 6:15am wake-up call for our special show on Friday morning in Temple. We're on 8:00am-11:00am tomorrow morning (like we were today) because our regular hours are blown out with the NCAA tournament games.

I didn't want us to lose the daily revenue during our show and we not only saved the revenue with the special morning shows, we added sponsorship dollars from Automax Hyundai-Temple.

I think we beat everyone to the dealership this morning, but we took a ton of calls and Paul and I had a great time with some topics and discussion. Also, had a nice chunk of people come by and register to win a nice group of prizes.

We're back at it in the morning. I hope, after the NyQuil that I hear my alarm clock. If I don't, that's okay--means I actually got some good sleep.

Our amazingly talented son, Craig, turned 27 this week, continues to co-host his sports talk show in Tyler. So proud of him.

Our fiercely committed daughter, Jennifer turns 24 in early-April, she dropped by my place on Tuesday evening, brought her (my) dog, Oreo, a black and white border collie and Oreo and I are "running buddies." She's so damn smart it's hilarious.

We had dogs when I was younger, our family had everything, dogs, cats, birds, ducks, fish, you name it, we had it. Sometimes the cats enjoyed some of the "pets" as treats, but we just replaced them. But, after getting married to Cindy, we just never had a dog...always cats...cats are cool, they complain on occasion but would rather you not bother them, unless they're hungry or just sucked on catnip.

Thinking back at it, we did have a dog for less than a week back in the mid-80's, but it didn't last long, it was a black lab and we gave it to a friend who had a big ranch...good decision for the dog.

Okay, I'm watching the end of the UCLA-Michigan State game, UCLA was rolling, but not trying to hang-on, up just one with :04.4 left. UCLA at the free throw line. I didn't realize this until the tip, but these proud basketball programs have never met during the NCAA Tournament, hard to believe.

Cindy is driving to town on Friday night to spend a couple of days, looking forward to that...although I think she wants to see Oreo more than me (and Jennifer when she comes back through on Sunday) :)

I think Craig and his girl, Mandee might even drive down, and that would be awesome.

Baylor Lady Bears start their march towards an possible NCAA Championship on Sunday at home, I'll be there for the coverage on Sunday evening. If they win, and they should, they'll also host a game on Tuesday in Waco.

Paul Catalina and I are headed to Rangers Training Camp on Wednesday morning for 5-6 days covering baseball spring training. That's about as relaxed as it gets. Looking forward to getting some fresh air--hope my cough is over by then, might take the sticks and play a round of three of golf. At least, I hope so.

We're trying to keep March busy with basketball and so much more. It's been a great month for us and so many people at our station have contributed.

I continue to be amazed by our camaraderie and so proud of the effort, commitment and professionalism.

We're finishing up the 1st-Quarter of 2011 with a lot of momentum, now we need to sustain it through April-June. If we can somehow sustain the momentum in April, May, and June...I can't wait for what we can do during the football season.

Oh, we're about to make a major announcement involving our 2011 high school football coverage on Monday of next week.

Stay tuned and thank you for listening when and if you do.

David Smoak
smoaky@1660espn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment