Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Catching up on several items (Sorry it's been so long since last post)

Our staff at 1660ESPN Radio has been running and gunning and we're focused on the final week of the high school football season and what and who we might be able to broadcast and cover during the playoffs.

China Spring needs to beat La Vega or lose by 2-points or less for their broadcasts to continue. If they tie La Vega, they'll have a coin flip involving La Vega and Gatesville.

If China Spring loses by 4-points or more, they're done.

And, how fortunate are we to ride the wave of the near perfect storm of topics this fall.

1) Baylor is enjoying an amazing season, bowl eligible, ranked in all the polls and coming off wins against Colorado, K-State and at Texas.

2) Rangers get to the World Series.

3) Cowboys are in a free fall and it can't get much worse than losing to the Jaguars at home, or can it?

4) H.S. Football season--no matter who moves into the playoffs---covering high school football has been a passion of mine for 30+-years.

And, with all the above going on we're about the launch into the 2010-2001 Men's and Women's College Basketball Season, Lady Bears are #2 in both polls, Baylor men ranked among the top 20 in both polls.

This has been great.

Also, we cracked a sales figure no one thought possible when I arrived in late-June. I said we'd one day break $100,000 within a year.

We passed $90,000 in October. Special thanks to Terry Tacker, Rich Richardson, Becky LeGrand, Linda Hill, Kisha Davis and Bill LeGrand. Without them, we don't hit that goal.

I gave the sales department a hefty goal and then tried to put some sponsorships and ideas in front of them and they ran like the wind.

We'll have our work cut out for us to get near that goal over the next 3-6 months but who knows, no one thought we'd hit $90,000 this quickly either.

We've moved basically everything into our new building off 340/6 and Bagby...what a nice place, still not completely settled in but it's a tremendous upgrade from where we were, and where we were was pretty nice.

Our five new studios in the back are built, now it's about a 2-3-4 week process to add everything, thousands of feet or wires, new computers, consoles and so much more.

I can't wait for us to have an Open House to show it off---everyone is very excited.

It's so nice to be involved with a company that is growing and we're about to add 2-3 new frequencies to what we already have including 1-2 of them being able to simulcast 1660ESPN...deeper to the south.

Our goal is to one day have a regional network, but we have plenty on our plate for now.

The radio business is very competitive and some stations are either stagnant or losing their grip and it's tough out there...so fortunate to be with a company that is growing each day.

Personally, our son Craig continues kicking butt at his station in Tyler/Longview (99.3FM) and he's booking of guests is very impressive. He's such talented and incredibly passionate, and he's grown up into a man over the past year and a half. If I've written this before, bare with me, but he's so much more talented than I could ever dream of and now he's building his own nest and creating his own identity. We have some rather lengthy phone calls multiple times a day, mostly about life in general and our late-night talks are special, very special and I look forward to them.

Our daughter, Jennifer, just started her new job with a bank in north Dallas and she's so excited, great benefits, good pay, and definitely something she's interested in. She still has some interest in radio/television and even trying out for the Mavs Dancers again next summer, but this opportunity at the bank is really cool.

Cindy continues to kick ass with her job as V.P. of SporTyler at the Chamber of Commerce in Tyler. Yes, she's still there---my recruiting efforts (and those of others is working but it appears we'll have to wait until the spring to put it on the market for the best value). Cindy has a great job and loves it and it wouldn't be fair to ask her to leave "yet" but we'll see. She came down last weekend, we just vegged-out and watched college football. She's a huge sports fan too and you've never seen passion until you witness her watching an OU football game.

I can't imagine anyone getting that worked up over their favorite college football team. I'd never dream of yelling and screaming while watching my 'Huskers on television.

Okay, my nose is growing...I'm the worst.

I have an update on my mom, she was hospitalized back during the early part of the football season and was in recovery and in rehab but suffered a setback. But, they did a procedure about 2-3 weeks ago that really gave her renewed energy and she was doing well.

My two older brothers, Mike and Robert called me this week to inform me of her temperature rising and of course that was a concern but it's apparently been corrected.

I just talked with her late last week and I could tell she was doing better because she was grumpy...seriously, she's tired of that place. I can relate and I only spent 9-days in the hospital, she's been there for several weeks.

I know it's worn out my father---he's lost without her and then again, maybe he's getting some peace and quiet because he pampered my mother, always has---and believe me, she took advantage of it :)

I can't believe it's been over four-months since I arrived at ESPN Waco on June 22nd, it's flown by and so many good people in this area have made my time here very special. And, just think, we've only just begun...a lot has been accomplished but we still have a lot of work to do.

Okay, I just realized I could be in trouble.

If the time of this blog is posted once I click "publish," my doctor is going to thump me in the forehead or kick me in the...

I'm on strict orders even 3-4 weeks after the double-pneumonia to shut it down and not work late into the night.

Oh well, thank goodness I didn't blog over the past 2-3 nights...or excuse me, early mornings.

I can't resist, lots of work to do and a lot of time to make up.

Have a great week and stay in touch.

Smoaky

No comments:

Post a Comment