Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A long, tough week but very enjoyable....

I knew this would be a tough and difficult week when we decided to broadcast three high school games during the opening week of the playoffs, and then---I couldn't resist, why not tailgate throughout the day on Saturday leading up to A&M @ Baylor at Floyd Casey Stadium?

Well, we're going to get it done and do it right.

Broadcasting the games is the easy part, preparing for the games with the system I use is time-consuming and very tedious.

I've been using the Power Point system for years and it's great, but it can take some time to create a team that I haven't done before, like this week, games involving both Fairfield and Madisonville.

Gathering the information, depth charts, stats, roster, schedule/results, coaching history, program history and I'm sure I'm forgetting something and putting it into a Power Point form is worth the time and effort.

I do all of the above, send to Kinko's for them to print on 8 1/2 x 14 paper in color, then place each team's offense and defense in flip-flop order and then laminate. Three copies for each team for our sideline reporter, color analyst and me.

When a team we've been covering or have covered is involved, it's a little easier...it's tweaking a few personnel changes and revising the stats.

I can prepare a team we've done before like this week, Gatesville and/or La Vega or throughout the season (China Spring) in a matter of 5-10 minutes.

Putting a new team in the system can take anywhere from an hour to 2-3 hours.

Well, I've sent the depth charts to Kinko's here in Waco for the Madisonville-Gatesville game and for La Vega vs. Fairfield.

Hey, I'm not complaining, I love it and I can't wait to be involved in broadcasting those games.

Smoaky

No comments:

Post a Comment