Thursday, December 30, 2010

Nebraska's disappointing finish...

I'm not sure how their current Holiday Bowl game will end against Washington, but I'm extremely disappointed in how Nebraska finished their 2010 season.

It's not about losses, it's the demeanor of the team.

Bo Pelini teams always play hard, but they weren't always "there," in my opinion, almost since they won at Oklahoma State.

They have been so inconsistent, and it's just something I've always hated about any team.

I was as loud as anyone about the "Big 12 Conspiracy" during the A&M game, but Nebraska has continued to make mistakes and ridiculous pre-snap or dead ball penalties.

They're doing it again tonight in falling behind Washington, 10-0.

Nebraska just scored to cut the lead to 10-7, but here are some obvious questions.

1) When was the last time Taylor Martinez really made a big play with his legs? Yes, I know he had the ankle sprain, but football is a physical game, get over it or let someone else play.

2) I know he's an easy target with his personality and sideline antics, but I love his passion. Yes, he needs to back off, calm down, grow up and mature. Hell, I did too throughout my lifetime. Those complaining about his stalking the sidelines and semi-tantrums were the same one's begging for some fire and energy and passion under Bill Callahan.

I know Nebraska football may never reach the greatness under Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne, but I sure would like to see them beat a handful of Top 25 teams each season.

But, who wouldn't?

They started winning some big games under Pelini, but they weren't winning big games on the road...so this season they go to Oklahoma State and beat a really talented and eventual 11-win team in a wild shootout.

I'm not sure the 'Huskers have played well on offense for 4-quarters since then. In fact, they haven't. And, whipping Colorado doesn't count.

They appeared to have everything straight with their 17-0 start against Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship Game, but they went brain dead for the last three quarters.

Tonight, against Washington, they start down 10-0 with numerous penalties, including one late hit that kept a drive alive and two....CONSECUTIVE...delay of game penalties. Seriously?

This was a no-win game for Nebraska, they pummeled Washington in Seattle back in September and I mean whipped their...well, you know.

The rematch was going to be very difficult for Pelini & Company, and---if you don't mind another Big 12 conspiracy theory, Dan Beebe and his minions knew it. Nebraska was originally scheduled to play Iowa in the Insight Bowl in Phoenix. The Big 12 knew it would be a 3-4 hour Big Ten preview, love fest...they forced Nebraska to the Holiday Bowl. Not only did that keep the Big Ten love fest from happening, it put the 'Huskers in a tough situation against a team they thumped.

I don't blame any of this on the Big 12, I blame it on Nebraska for not taking care of business against Oklahoma when they led 17-0.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment