Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Ultimate Fan Catch-22

Well, the Big 12 as we knew it in football officially ends tonight, the Championship Game at Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma.

I am a lifelong Nebraska football fan, but my wife Cindy and our son Craig are both HUGE OU fans.

Cindy's entire side of the family is Boomer Sooner, and I'm the minority, but, I've had my pretty good moments along the way.

However, Cindy and I decided to remain apart for this one tonight. Marriage is tough enough so we decided it would be better for everyone involved if we remained 2 1/2 apart.

Seriously, this is what I wanted for the final Big 12 Championship Game for the conference as we knew it.

I predicted Texas-Nebraska at the beginning of the season, but we know what happened in stunning fashion to UT...and I'm still shocked by their sudden fall.

I love the 'Huskers in football and my place is loaded with Nebraska helmets, jerseys, pictures and glasses and signs and old SI covers, including the "Game of the Century" in 1971.

Anytime I bring that one up to Cindy, "Well, there was an obvious no-call on a block in the back on the Johnny Rodgers punt return for a TD."

She's wrong.

There were two block in the back calls that were missed, but oh well....

We've enjoyed the rivalry throughout the time we met, and although OU had the upper-hand through most of the 70's (except '70 and '71 and '78), Nebraska has held their own with the mighty-Sooners throughout the past 30-years.

I love the rivalry and I hate that it didn't remain an annual game once the Big 12 was formed.

Tonight, the rivalry takes another step, but no matter what's on the line, I don't know how it can ever match the intensity and respect from the old Big 8 days.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment