Monday, October 4, 2010

Hopefully, on the comeback trail...

It's early Monday afternoon and I haven't posted on this blog in nearly two weeks.

If I did, I don't remember.

I think my wife Cindy may have updated everyone on my bout with double-pneumonia.

Two weeks ago today while co-hosting "You Make The Call" I started having some bad headaches. I've always been very fortunate not to suffer from migraines. All of my headaches were tension or stress related.

So, I took the typical pills and medicine to try and get through 2-3 days. Nothing worked.

I went to a local clinic on Thursday and was told I was suffering from a stress headache---and was given more pills and a steroid shot for my voice.

About once or twice a year, based on weather change I would receive a steroid shot to strengthen my voice...it always worked and I went about my business.

Thursday night, a couple of friends here in Waco called me to check on my health. When I didn't respond very well, they came to my place and drove me to the ER.

The same diagnosis was given...stress, pills, prescriptions....

I slept okay on Thursday night but woke up miserable on Friday, no energy and that's just not me. I'm a Type-A workaholic. I don't have time to be sick.

Well, health wins out this time.

For the first time in my 30-years in the business, I missed a game broadcast for health reasons. Paul Catalina refused to take me to Brownwood and dropped me back at my place and I waited for Cindy's arrival. I don't know what made me more miserable, missing the game broadcast or being sick.

My wife drove in from Tyler on Friday and immediately told me my temperature was 103,7. I tried to joke about it by saying that's a radio station number.

I was able to grind through Saturday watching college football and trying to stay busy.

I felt decent on Sunday when I woke up and watched the Cowboys at the Texans...but as that game was winding down, I felt terrible and walked back into my room and laid down.

Next thing I know, Cindy is waking me up and concerned about my breathing and we left for the ER again.

Needless to say, that was Sunday, September 26th. Now, it's Monday, October 4th.

I spend a few days in ICU being treated for double-pneumonia and whatever else. I've had more blood tests, shots and medical attention in the past 8-10 days than I've had in 51+-years.

When we arrived at the ER the second time, I think it was Dr. Lovett who got straight to the point about my health. It wasn't good and it wasn't going to get any better for awhile.

There are a lot of people to think, aides, nurses, doctors and others...friends, family, co-workers, but no one has been there more than Cindy.

I don't deserve her, she's too good for me after putting up with me through thick and thin.

She's missed days of work, been under as much stress as anyone watching me fight for my life for 2-3 days and also watching me take a step back or two during the recovery.

She's an amazing woman and I'm so fortunate to have her as the mother of our children and my best friend and wife.

I know that's a lot of gooey stuff, but just wanted to post an update.

I should be released this afternoon but I must take it very slowly for the rest of the week.

I'm hoping to get back on You Make The Call by Thursday or Friday and broadcast the Gatesville @ China Spring game on Friday.

Right now, I'm ready to get out of the hospital and continue my recovery.

Thanks to so many people who have sent me email or text or called. Believe me, I want to get back to work two weeks ago so I'm chomping at the bit.

Smoaky

1 comment: