Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sales, Sales, Sales, we couldn't do it without them...

I spent my first 9-years in the media business in television before moving into radio in January, 1990. My first owner in radio hired me to give the talk show some momentum and change the culture but he always said I'd be good with potential sponsors and in sales.

I didn't believe one word he said, at least then.

Well, at the time, coming from TV, sales and on-air types just didn't match.

I really enjoyed the dual challenge of on-air work and sales and although sales is a job where you get your teeth kicked-in more often than not, the high of the a client or sponsor saying, "yes," is fantastic.

Knowing both sides of being on-air and sales, and respecting what each has to do has allowed me to spend time with our sales department here at 1660ESPN.

I'll never forget that first meeting with our sales department and GM-Bill LeGrande on that Tuesday, June 22nd. I don't think anyone in that room believed me and/or some of my goals...but I hope they do now and if not, I'll keep working hard to make them believe in what we do.

I'd been given a heads-up on each them before arriving, and I'll never forget Terry Tacker asking me that afternoon, "What are your thoughts on the ratings?", "When are you going to get on the air?" and if we had more time, I'm sure he would've asked a hundred more questions.

I knew then, his passion and everyone else at that table and their passion for our radio stations.

I have a story about a client call with Terry from Wednesday that I'll mention in a second...but I have been lucky to have Bill, Becky LeGrande, Terry, Rich Richardson, Leslie, Kisha Davis, and Linda Hill on our side.

Bill has been in radio sales for years and once ran sales for a monster group in Houston. Now, that's pressure, sales in Houston. There are millions and millions of dollars on the line almost daily in that market. He's a veteran and a pro. He and I haven't always agreed with some of my ideas, but I appreciate how he gives me the time to "sell" my ideas or goals and not all GM's or Sales Managers give you a voice. I think he knows the history and contact of every potential client in Central Texas. Bill has gone out of his way to help me fight for things we've needed, technical equipment to a few other things. He's allowed me to "run a little bit," but knows when to pull me back.

Rich Richardson is a 7-foot sports-a-holic, who also happens to be a sales rep. He was here at 1660 before and then left and has returned. I call Rich the "wheeler dealer," and I mean he has ideas coming out of his head every hour. I've had to pull out the Program Director paddle on occasion when Rich wants to negotiate a little too much. There's no doubt though, he absolutely loves 1660ESPN Radio. He wants to be on the air, but most people do...I've thrown him a bone at times and I know one thing, he's a great in-game broadcast stats man. He's a huge Steelers fan, but we'll forgive him for that....oh yea, if you ever talk with Rich, ask him about his notebook of promotions and proposals. It's a wealth of information.

Linda Hill, Kisha Davis, and Leslie are are "newbies" on the sales staff. Leslie has a deep background in radio sales and she's about to help us a great deal especially down in our southern listening area. She was in Chicago, so like Bill, she knows how to be competitive. Linda and Kisha are still learning the business...both have sales backgrounds but not in radio, but I think both are "getting it now," and I believe in both of them. Linda is funny as heck, Kisha is very quiet---but she's always pounding the street for new clients and revenue. Linda and I have closed a couple of deals, including developing a great relationship with Randy Crook at Salty Dog.

Becky LeGrande has a media buyer background so mixing numbers, ratings, CPP, and proposals is her strength. We haven't been on as many calls since I arrived, but when we have, we're 2-2! La Fiesta and then Sam's on the Square. She is very good at creating promotions and really excels with Mix92.9. She did a great job with a "Fill The Bus" promotion for needy children in the Waco area.

Terry Tacker is the one who has taken me on more sales calls than anyone else. He's on the verge of breaking a personal record for sales in a month, I think he's $1,100 shy of that barrier for September. He's fearless in working on appointments and meeting potential clients. He has a board next to his corner of the room desk that looks like an NFL Draft-Board. If there's something that's been sold or something that hasn't been sold---it's up in his corner...it's impressive. Being a former Sports Information Director, I think Terry has an NFL Draft Board up there somewhere, just not sure...I'll figure it out one day. Not only has Terry taken me on numerous sales calls, he's introduced me to a lot of people who are decision-makers in Waco, he's always on the go, and his wife, Brenda---she works at Baylor---she's been like my Li'l Sis checking up on me from time to time.

Now, to today's story involving Terry.

He and I visited a prospective client today, spent about an hour and "she got it." She understands marketing, advertising and I think we'll get a commitment within 1-2 days.

I told Terry if he didn't close the deal, "he'd have hear about it for the next several weeks."

This prospective client loves 1660ESPN, and Terry had this detailed proposal and the client made a couple of suggestions and then I interjected some ideas she should look at and I promise you if the changes had been in red ink, it would have looked like one of my Chemistry tests back in high school.

I have great respect for the sales people who live and die by proposals and "yes and usually no."

I'm hoping we add the new sponsor very soon along with many others.

Thanks to our account exec's, and our great sponsors. We don't exist without them.

Smoaky

No comments:

Post a Comment