Saturday, September 11, 2010

I cannot imagine why Baylor's game with Buffalo wouldn't reach a crowd of 40,000+

I don't know enough about some of the old scars between the City of Waco, Central Texas and Baylor University.

But, like anything else, everyone needs to grow up and bury the hatchet.

Has BU made some previous decisions that alienated potential ticket buyers, yes--and based on my conversations with Ken Starr, Ian McCaw and others---they've tried to reach out and attract a new fan base and perhaps work a new relationship with those who haven't been coming to the games.

In my opinion, two things need to happen or Baylor football will be on the outside looking in again sometime sooner than you think.

1) Everyone needs to grow up, forgive and forget and give Baylor another chance. But, that doesn't happen without Baylor truly reaching out and sustaining their interest in the community...not for a couple of home games but forever.

2) No matter how much BU markets their football program, they team MUST win and they must be convincing in some of their victories.

Look, they're in a very difficult division, but that's not going to change, so get better.

Art Briles and his staff are doing what they believe in to bring the Bears back, it won't happen overnight, but the window of opportunity to convince fans is ticking.

I mentioned how disappointed I'd be if the attendace didn't reach 40,000+ today, and about 25-minutes from kickoff, that's up in the air.

I hope those who told me I'm clueless about demanding 40,000 are wrong.

If not, I'll be hammering away at my philosophy on Baylor's football future and the fan base.

If you want to be a big-boy program, you have to act like one.

That's on the team, program, players, coaches and fan base.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment