Saturday, August 28, 2010

Opening week of the HS season about over...

Well, it's 3:37 in the morning on Saturday, and I'm about to get some sleep.

Enjoyed the Friday afternoon show, live from 3pm-5pm with Paul Catalina.

One quick decision I made when arriving in late-June was putting "You Make The Call" back live on Friday's for some time.

We're normally on 3pm-6pm, but for the past couple of years, they made the decision to not have the show during high school football season on Friday.

I can't imagine not hosting a local talk show on Friday afternoon in Texas during high school football season.

We took a ton of calls and enjoyed the banter.

Meanwhile, Paul and I did the broadcast of China Spring @ Mexia, Mexia won 45-31, but a very entertaining game.

I saw Mexia RB Doug Gentry up close and personal for the first time, he's a stud, 199-yards and 3-TD's, including a 76-yarder.

I really liked how China Spring kept coming back, head coach Mark Bell told me this week, "We might not be quite ready for a game and opponent like this...but we'll give it a shot."

Mexia led by 20 at halftime, and then by 18 in 4th-Quarter. but the Cougars kept fighting back with a bruising running game, led by Michael Martin.

Martin was an offensive lineman a year ago, but he's a bull of a runner...China Spring had the ball at the Mexia 15 with just over a minute left in the game, but Trey Bullard had the ball knocked loose on a pitch play, and Davonta Foreman returned it 85-yards for the back-breaking touchdown.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, being at the stadium and a great crowd.

Our next game broadcast is Glen Rose @ China Spring, 7:30pm, September 3rd.

I returned the station about 11:30pm, spent about a hour going over a few things with Zach Burke and Jason Barringer, who produced our broadcast and then hosted the scoreboard show.

Those two seem to be gaining confidence in what they do, and I'm proud for them.

I spent the past couple of hours updating my own high school website, Smoaky.com, and already working on our "Player of the Week" nominations.

I normally don't go to bed on a Friday night and expect only a "NAP" because there's not much time before some good things to accomplish on Saturday.

Smoaky

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having a live show on Fridays, I always hated not having one.

    ReplyDelete