Sunday, August 1, 2010

Let the High School Football Season begin...

Finally, at midnight on Sunday, Texas High School football teams can start their journey towards a possible state championship.

Everyone has a right to dream, only a handful will fulfill those dreams.

Every Six-Man through Class 3-A football program in Texas will begin workouts on Monday, and a handful of Class 4-A and Class 5-A programs will also start up.

As most of you know, Class 4-A and 5-A programs have the option of going through spring drills or taking an extra week of practice during the first week in August.

Those programs who conducted spring drills will wait until next Monday (August 9th) to start their team workouts.

It never fails for me, each year at this time, I reflect back on going through these early-August practices in 100+-degree temperatures.

I loved them, most dreaded them. But, I spent my entire summer enjoying many things, but I was always in shape---most athletes are at 15-18 years old.

Imagine the nervous energy of thousands of high school football players who about are to find out very quickly if they're in shape, or not.

Especially those incoming freshmen, who are wide-eyes and bushy-tailed, excited, yet anxious.

I don't know of a single high school coach who has gone over the first day or week of practice a hundred times in their heads over the past few days.

Physicals, Check
Shorts and T-Shirts, Check
Water, Water, Water, Check
Pads, Shoulder Pads, Helmets, and Mouthpieces, Check

Of course, the pads aren't allowed to be put on until later in the week, but that's always a great day.

Contact, blocking, tackling, finding out who is up to the task of playing high school football.

As each year of my life passes by, these start of high school football workouts never changes for me, I reflect back on those days at Chofu and/or Yokota High School in Japan, or Universal City Randolph High School in San Antonio.

I also know, I couldn't get through the first 5-minutes of a practice now...but I'll be somewhere out there on Monday morning, watching, listening, and enjoying.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment