Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Clarifying "lack of local coverage."

Thanks again for the nice email and text messages that are pouring in since I arrived in Waco on June 22nd.

As I mentioned before, we've accomplished quite a bit in a relatively short amount of time.

We'll start to seriously focus on our local high school football coverage and programming when I return from San Antonio.

Meanwhile, I'd like to clear the air or clarify a couple of complaints I received about our so-called, "lack of enough local coverage."

I appreciate any and all constructive criticism, but "lack of enough local coverage," is a bit strange to me.

Since I joined Butch Henry and Paul Catalina on "You Make The Call" we've interviewed the following local players, personalities or coaches.

*Judge Ken Starr, Baylor University President
*Art Briles, Baylor Head Football Coach
*Robert Griffin III, Baylor Quarterback
*Antonio Johnson, Baylor Linebacker
*Danny Watkins, Baylor Offensive Tackle
*Roger Goree, Former Baylor All-American Defensive End
*Grant Teaff, Former Baylor Head Coach, President-AFCA
*Scott Drew, Baylor Men's Basketball Coach (Twice)
*Kim Mulkey, Baylor Women's Basketball Coach
*David Ash, QB, Belton High School
*Rodney Southern, Head Coach, Belton High School
*Odell James, Former Baylor Quarterback
*Gary Baxter, Former Baylor Cornerback
*Nick Joos, Baylor Associate Athletic Director

Now, one call I received was our lack of coverage of the Little League, Dixie League or Youth Baseball.

I know this won't be the most popular response and philosophy, but I've dealt with trying to cover these league and games and teams for 30-plus years. My history shows you can never satisfy anyone enough while trying to cover youth sports. If you mention the Belton 8-9 year old All-Star team, you get an immediate call why you're not covering the Mart 11-12 year old All-Stars.

I would like your help (along with our own staff paying attention) keeping up with any Little League, Dixie League, or Youth League baseball team that enters a NATIONAL Tournament, especially if someone qualifies to play in Williamsport, Pa. That's a different story.

Over my 30-years in radio and television, for every one mention of a local youth team---you get hammered with 100 complaints why you didn't mention someone else.

Now, I guarantee you we will blanket the high school coverage from the start of their 2-a-day workouts in early-August through the state championship weekends in December.

We will interview players, not just coaches. And, I think you'll enjoy what we're about to do.

Thanks again.

Smoaky
smoaky@1660espn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment