Thursday, July 29, 2010

TPC San Antonio

Channel 8 sportscaster Joe Trahan invited me to play a round of golf at the TPC-San Antonio where they hosted the Valero Texas Open earlier this year.

It's a J.W. Marriott property and it's absolutely beautiful.

Joe, R.J. Choppy of ESPN Radio in Dallas, Channel 11's Steve Dennis and I all teed off this morning at 7:35am and we all want another piece of the course.

It was fantastic, but very difficult. Greens were as fast as I've played on and the hardest part were the subtle, but deadly undulations around the greens.

I'm a 5-handicapper but I didn't have much of a chance today, shot 87 and I was proud of it.

Steve Dennis had the best score, 85....and he's very good, so are Joe and R.J. but we all had our problems.

We should have known when the starter off the #1 tee box told us, "Gentlemen, just a couple of things to think about...don't over-read the breaks on the greens, and be careful if you're just off the fairways in some of the higher grass."

We all asked, "Why?"

He answered, "Well, we have a lot of snakes, scorpions and tarantulas, so be careful---but have fun!"

I think it took us about 5-6 holes to get over the fear...had a great time, but want to get another shot at the course down the road.

David Smoak

No comments:

Post a Comment