Thursday, July 22, 2010

Training Camp Memories...

Well, we're settled into San Antonio. I love this city, always have...went to school here in 6th and 7th grades at Ed White Middle School in the early-70's, and then transferred from Japan to Randolph AFB and Randolph High School for my senior season.

Enjoyed a busy show on Thursday afternoon with several guests and some great callers as well and now pumped-up about covering another Cowboys Training Camp.

Of course, if I had my choice---their little trip later in August in Oxnard, California would've been my preference---but, that's for another day and perhaps next summer.

There are a lot more media types who've covered more Cowboys Training Camps than I have, but I do remember my first back in 1986 or '87 when they were training in Thousand Oaks, California.

My favorite memory was the first-ever live sportscast we launched via Satellite on KLTV-Channel 7. I was the sports director and Roger Wallace (now working in Austin) was our weeknight sports anchor.

After we went live and got word from Tyler the sportscast was flawless---Roger and I started acting like two little school girls, screaming up and down the parking lot area on the Cal-Lutheran Campus.

We broke new ground that night and now, television stations broadcasting live from throughout the world is no big deal.

But, I'll never take that memory or the live shots for granted.

My first time broadcasting radio from a Cowboys Camp was in July, 1990 when the Cowboys first moved to St. Edwards University in Austin.

I remember vividly upon returning to East Texas after a week of live broadcasts how a client told me, "I knew you were going to accomplish great things when I heard you live from Cowboys Camp last week."

This summer, I'm here at camp with 1660ESPN Radio, Waco and what a difference a year makes. I was here last summer but it came during a time when I was trying to figure out my life.

I thought about that quite a bit on my drive down from Waco tonight.

I'm honored to be down here again and doing what I love to do.

I hope everyone will enjoy the coverage we'll bring starting on Friday and running through next Thursday.

Smoaky

No comments:

Post a Comment